Saturday, May 5, 2012

Telling Steve's family


We wanted to make a huge surprise for Steve's family because they had no idea that we had been thinking about this.  I wanted to have my family as well, but since they live so far away we weren't able to celebrate with them in person.  We invited Steve's parents and brother and his wife over for the day for dinner.  It was great weather so we were able to enjoy sitting outside on the porch.

Steve brought over our first set of appetizers which included: Baby bell peppers with hummus, baby grapes, Babybel cheese and mini toast crackers, with kumquats (baby oranges!).  My sister in law and I enjoyed a nice glass of champagne (although mine was really sparkling cider).

When it was time for dinner everyone sat down at our dining room table which was set up with a nice large bouquet of pink peonies and blue hydrangea.  When everyone was sitting Steve served up the baby-back-ribs with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.  For starters we had a baby spinach salad with baby corn, baby tomatoes and baby beets.  Our sides were baby carrots, baby apples, baby pears with cinnamon and roasted baby potatoes.  I only have a few photos that I will have to update, but here are some to show what the food looked like.  It looked smaller in person! (because EVERYTHING was tiny).

After all the food his parents STILL had no idea what this all meant.  We were giggling throughout the entire meal.  Thankfully my sister (in-law) had come up with a great way to break the news.  We had everyone move over to the computer in order to "record the video" and instead we were recording their reaction.  Once everyone was assembled we pulled up the photo of the ultrasound.  At first there was silence, then disbelief and finally Steve's mother literally jumping up and down for joy!  What a great surprise it was!  We gave both my father and Steve's father a nice little book to help them choose what names they would like to be called, my mom has already been dubbed with Joe... Long story short Steve took to calling her "Joe" for How's yo mama, which turned into Joe mama, and finally Joe, and it stuck.  I think its great! And Steve's mom has always wanted to be called Grammy.  The men needed a little help  ;)

To top off the evening I brought out the cake that I decorated (a local bakery made it) that had pink and blue inside!















No comments:

Post a Comment